Show your friends and family what you are thankful for with this creative centerpiece. I have a three year old and there wasn’t too much for him to help with this craft. He did tell me what he was thankful for and he enjoyed playing with the turkey when the craft was complete.
- Construction paper or foam paper
- Popsicle stick
- Toilet paper roll
- Paper plate
- Cover a toilet paper roll in brown construction paper and glue in place.
- Cut out wings and glue onto each side of the toilet paper roll. Also cut out feet and glue to the bottom of the roll (or you can trace your child’s hand and cut out to use as the feet).
- Cut a triangle out of yellow construction paper or foam paper. Also cut out a red gizzard (you could also use the end of a red balloon for the gizzard). Glue on the beak and gizzard.
- Use a marker to make eyes or cut them out of construction paper or use goggle eyes.
- Attach a bow under the beak with glue. I tied mine with a longer piece of ribbon and then cut the ends after it was tied to make it easier.
- For the hat-cut a circle out of black construction paper or foam paper that it a little larger than the hole in the toilet paper roll. Cut out another circle that is the same size as the roll.
- Cut out a strip of paper that will be used to form the hat. Glue all of the pieces together as in the picture. (I attached the longer piece on paper with a paper clip until the glue dried.) Glue ribbon around the hat and cut out a buckle from yellow paper.
- Glue the hat onto the top of the toilet paper roll. I stood the turkey up and used something to weight the hat down as it dried. Now for the feathers, cut out several feather from construction paper.
- Ask your child what they are thankful for-friends, family, toys, etc. Write each word of phrase on each feather.
- Attach the feathers to the paper plate.
- Glue the turkey onto the paper plate in front of the feathers.
- Cut out a sign from paper and write “I am thankful for…” on the sign. Glue the sign and a popsicle stick to the paper plate. You can also cut the paper plate to form a decorative border. You can use also use a colored paper plate or paint it.